Pre-requisite: Participants must have completed
- SSCP Safeguarding Foundation Modules 1 and 2
Target Group: This workshop is aimed at practitioners and managers in voluntary, independent and statutory agencies who work predominantly with children, young people and/or their parents/carers and who could contribute to assessing, planning, intervening and evaluating the needs of a child and parenting capacity where there are safeguarding concerns.
Course Aim: An increased understanding of working with families who for a range of reasons are resistant. This could be due to learning difficulties, capacity, understanding, disguised compliance etc. This leads to attention being directed away from the child to parents/carers. We will look at how to identify and respond to these challenges to ensure the child remains our focus.
Learning Outcomes: By the end of the course participants will have
- Discussed what is meant by resistant or hard to engage families.
- Understood how the various forms of resistance including disguised compliance can present in the behaviour of the parent/carer and also the professional (that it is not just within the child protection area of work).
- Look at tools to work with clients/service users who are resisting support or change.
- Understood the practice of ‘respectful uncertainty’.
- Looked at how a model of a strengths based approach to working with children and families could be used in other areas of work to recognise and respond to resistance behaviours.
- Recognised the feelings of workers when entering the home and then think what it must be like for the child.
To use this booking system, you will first need to create a user account and once you have done this, you will be able to manage your own bookings, access course evaluations, certificates and access your training history.
Please note: individuals must create their own account. There is no facility for one person to create an account in their name and book places for numerous numbers of staff. If you are booking on behalf of another member of staff you need to register in their name rather than your own.